Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Fair play

Sitting at a negotiating table with my client and the other party, this thought keeps recurring in my mind - Why can't one be fair and balanced while negotiating a right or a deal or drafting a legal document ? Whats the big deal in being fair and ethical ? Why cut corners ?
Should winning be at the cost of another ?

(Of course, now we swim in the dangerous waters of who is right, fair, ethical..... and the endless debates around it)

"The law, for all its failings, has a noble goal – to make the little bit of life that people can actually control more just. We can’t end disease or natural disasters, but we can devise rules for our dealings with one another that fairly weigh the rights and needs of everyone, and which, therefore, reflect our best vision of ourselves." says Scott Turow.

I do not intend to or set out to make a moral argument for any one profession as such, but perhaps that is something worth sparing a thought to.



*******

I make a conscious effort not to write about my profession and genuinely try to focus on things outside the immediate spectrum of what I do to earn my bread and butter (not to forget the jam, cheese and icecream!) but at times, I feel a compulsive need to write about related topics. Is the dividing line getting thinner between life and work ?!

No comments: