Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Kindness

Some days back, I set out of office one evening, leaving a bit early for home than I normally do. Walking towards the auto stand. Within a matter of seconds, I am caught in a heavy downpour with no umbrella or raincoat whatsoever. Not a single auto is ready to take me to my destination. I keep waving by at empty autos, but alas! The bus route has been diverted due to the construction of the Metro. No cab is ready to come within the next 1 hour. Try calling up some friends/family/colleagues. All are stuck in the rain at different places, far from where I am stuck.

By now, the heavy downpour has reduced to a "steady" drizzle and my waiting continues unabated.

I stand by the corner of the road, under a tree, feeling cold and forlorn; watching people passing by, feeling the rain drops from the tree, observing the speeding cars and bikes, insensitively splashing the rain slush/drainage water all over the pedestrians and the lesser mortals who walk on the roads.

It must have been a while when all of a sudden, I am pulled out of my reverie by a grey Honda Activa which stops right beside me. And the lady rider looks towards me and says " Hey! I am going to Indiranagar. Would you like me to drop you somewhere that side?"

I am baffled and suddenly feel hesitant and wonder why....what... how...

She senses my hesitation and quickly chirps in "I saw you standing there wet and alone in the dark, perhaps looking for an auto. Thought would find out where you need to go and drop you somewhere if it is the same direction as mine."

This random act of kindness from a stranger really touched my heart. Truly, such incredibly small ways to reach out to our fellow human beings and make a difference. We just need to make the effort- to be kind and sensitive.

2 comments:

Greek said...

it waz all so randomly kind and sensitive only coz it happened to be a 'lady' rider.... just a thought :p

Sharan said...

Greek : Insightful! :D