Saturday, October 18, 2008

Diamond shopping!

So it all began on a chat. A friend of mine requested me to meet him on Sunday. “Sure! Sunday evening date, done deal – okay ?”, I happily chirped. “Great. I wanted a pick up a diamond ring for my girlfriend for our engagement and wanted your help with that”, he responded. Oops! What ? Hey, hang on, buddy, Diamond shopping and moi! Ce n'est pas possible. I am not a gold/diamond jewellery person, even by average or below average standards- with neither interest nor inclination goading me to know about them. Huh! The innocent fellow does not even figure out what he has gotten into.

But the deal is done and it’s too late for me to back out and so in all earnestness, I ask my grandmom and dad the things to look out for while purchasing a diamond. My grandmom goes on a nostalgic route, quite impressed that I am suddenly getting an interest in these things and her eyes glitter, in tune with the diamond earrings she wears. My dad gives an amused laugh, shakes his head, “Oh my god, he has called you to help in buying diamonds? Maybe you should take me along to help you!” I realize this is taking me nowhere. [So much for putting my nose up in the air even at diamond ads!]

So off I go on Sunday evening, meeting him at the Sri Krishna Jewellery showroom on Commercial Street. We enter the shop and I look around like a novice, quite like a fish out of water, but my friend just leads me confidently into a lift, which I did not even observe as existing in the first place!

We go to the diamonds section and he heads straight to the counter where the sales lady pulls out a box with two rings. He looks at both the rings which he has ordered and a confounded look creeps up his face. He is not sure which one to take. I suddenly realize, this is the moment…..

I lean forward to take a closer look at the two diamond rings. Both are quite different and equally striking and for a moment, I can empathise with him, almost. Both rings represent two different styles. One is a seven diamond traditional floral design – quite solid looking. The other is an elegant 5 diamond design and perhaps what one could wear on an evening out or even on a daily basis if one is fond of such stuff, I neatly surmise.

Soon, my stubby fingers model the beautiful rings, which sort of look like an eye sore to me, I mean, the combination is somewhat pathetic to my eyes, but of course, my friend is lost in his girlfriend’s memories and imagining which one would look better in her fingers. So I patiently do the finger-modelling job, strategically placing my fingers, over the table, a bend to the right, for closer examination, the left angle and other positions for observation, with the hidden agenda to induce a quick purchase. We ask the sales lady which one is her choice and she points to the 7 diamond one and lets out a shy smile! I smile, sans comprehension.

Suddenly, my friend enquires about “Hearts and Arrows” collection and if the rings I was modeling belong to that collection. I begin to think perhaps the jewellery stores have started selling Valentine’s day merchandise from October, but realize I could not be more wrong. Apparently, “Hearts and Arrows” is a class of brilliant-cut diamonds, quite in a superior league of its own. So another round of discussion follows on the Hearts and Arrows, while I am fidgeting around, struggling to control my boredom, my friend finishes his discussion with the sales lady and makes his choice.

The 7-diamond ring is billed and packed in one of those cute blue velvet boxes and of course, it occurs to me that if at all I ever remotely intend(!) to buy a diamond ring, then I should call this friend, who has taken the effort to google and learn all about diamond cuts and of course, the hearts and arrows (besides listening to his heart as well!)

By the way, Wikipedia says this about De Beers and Marketing:

"Over the last century, De Beers has been highly successful in increasing consumer demand for diamonds. One of the most effective marketing strategies has been the marketing of diamonds as a symbol of love and commitment.
A young copywriter, Frances Gerety coined the famous advertising line "A Diamond is Forever" in 1947, allegedly while she was dreaming.
In the year 2000, Advertising Age magazine named "A Diamond Is Forever" the best advertising slogan of the twentieth century.
Other successful campaigns started by De Beers include the "eternity ring" (as a symbol of continuing affection and appreciation), the "trilogy" ring (representing the past, present and future of a relationship) and the "right hand ring" (bought and worn by women as a symbol of independence.)"


On a parting note, all I can say is the marketing guys still need to work harder to convert the ever-diminishing club of folks like YT, to sell more diamonds! Good luck, guys! ;)

5 comments:

EvolutioN said...

"One is a seven diamond traditional floral design"

erm, a fundamental question. how did you know it was traditional if you claim to, as you do, know nothing about designs and diamonds?

:)

S

Sharan said...

Aaaah! Commie dear, I note that instead of "reading" my post, you have reviewed it!!! That is quite a disgrace and I accept 100 % responsibility for this scenario. Calling for some drastic measures now!

Anyway, to answer your fundamental question, I live with my Grandmom who wears a 7 diamond floral design and well, she has been wearing it for some 40 odd years now. I suppose then it merits being referred to as "traditional" design...

Have a lovely day!

Kunal Ekawde said...

hmm Diamond Shopping..hope you had a good time selecting diamond with your friend and I hope he shared atleast a cup of tea later ..:)

Sharan said...

Chai ke saath pakode bhi !
Kuch bhi humne waste nahi kiya :)

Fun time in all :)

Antara Mukherji said...

great post... hee hee funny and filling!