Friday, November 09, 2007

Saawariya?

Its all over the TV channels and hoardings across the city. The big launch of two star kids and a big budget Diwali release of the Hindi movie "Saawariya" (meaning beloved in Hindi) all over India and of course the rest of the world (thanks to our NRIs).


But I am greatly concerned. Concerned about how this movie would be received in the State of Tamil Nadu which speaks a language called Tamil. I wonder how the junta would react to the movie in Tamil Nadu and hope it does not end up like what it means in Tamil.


Such political incorrectness! Perhaps SLB should have asked some Tamil speaking person for an alternative title to release the movie in Tamil Nadu.


Some years back, while I was staying at a paying guest accommodation in Chennai, one of my roommates was from this place ("Ooru" she used to say) called Gobichettipalayam in Erode District. She did not know Hindi at that time and was not aware of Hindi movies/songs etc. So those being the Lagaan days, one morning I was humming the song "O re chorey" from Lagaan, moving to a high-pitched frenzy to "Saawariya…" as the lady singer goes in the song. Suddenly, this roommate sits up alarmed and asks worriedly "What's wrong with you ? Why are you singing this early in the morning?"


I stare at her for rudely interrupting my rhythm. And then it dawns on me- that very second.


"Saawariya" in Tamil roughly translated means "wish to die"!!!!


Good luck to Saawariya in Tamil Nadu!

No comments: