Tuesday, April 24, 2007

In search of Truth?

Standing in the witness box in a court hall (thankfully not that crowded) was quite an experience to me, despite my being in the legal profession.

Things always appear different when it happens to you.

So there the judge ushers me to the witness box and the clerk asks me to swear, pointing at a dirty cardboard piece on which a white piece of paper is stuck....I am asked to read it aloud : "I swear in the name of God that I would speak the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth"

I muse to myself.. what if i object to swear in the name of God? then I swear by the Constitution of India ? Should I really swear on something?

What is truth? Is it merely confirmity with Fact and reality ? so abstract, it is, I can almost feel its weight on my shoulders....

And then The Bible says " And the Truth shall set you free"

Freedom.... now, this shall be a separate post some other day.....

No comments: